In regard to: Re: [Puppet Users] Getting all variable occurrences from...:

Now I really think we're talking about different things, because this
data design seems quite reasonable and I agree that merging a various
intermediate keys from a nested data structure ought to work. Indeed
this seems like something that is back-end dependent, i.e. a different
yaml backend could behave exactly this way behind the scenes when you
request the 'ntp' hash for a node, without needing a different hiera_*
function at all.

Agreed.

So I guess I should ask, Alexander did I misunderstand what you were
asking about in #16003?

My impression is that you understood #16003 correctly, and that the
use-case I was asking about is in reality different.  I hope Alexander
chimes in to confirm or refute that, but I think we're asking about
things that seem related but aren't.

Keep in mind that I'm not saying I think hiera *must* work the way I've
described, I'm just asserting that I can see people potentially thinking
it would work that way and I can see some potential benefits to having
it work that way.  What I'm really asking for, more than anything, is
a stance from the designers and architects saying either "bad idea, don't
do it" or "yeah, should work and we're not opposed to it".

If I need to open a separate ticket to get that kind of directional
clarity, I would be happy to do so.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu