On 2012-28-08 24:34, Nick Fagerlund wrote:

...blurry...
...ticket tracker ... outstanding bug
...DON'T DO THIS...

Ah,
which reminded me about the fun and games that can be played with node inheritance and regular expressions. There is a bug logged for that.

Problem being that a node can inherit from another by referencing it via its "name". The "name" can be a regular expression (which is reasonable to match against hostnames). What is not reasonable is to have complex RHS expression that inherits based on a regexp.

A regexp may also match the special "default" node as well - see:

http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/7433
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/7423

What - that issue (7423) was closed because 2.6 version was deleted? The problem still exists because nodeparent uses rule hostname
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/blob/3.x/lib/puppet/parser/grammar.ra#L708

and hostname allows regexp

https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/blob/3.x/lib/puppet/parser/grammar.ra#L677

I re-opened the issue 7423.

Anyway, I agree with the approach to document how it *should be*, and when the reality happens to allow something completely different it should be noted.

Language design and implementation is tricky -
https://www.destroyallsoftware.com/talks/wat
NaNaNaNa - Batman ! (around 3:50 in if you are impatient).

Regards
- henrik