Thanks John,

The Puppet templating docs recommend referring to DSL variables via Ruby
> class variables, so as @master_host and @master_port in your case.
> Referring to them via local variables (as your template does) will often
> work, but it can fail in interesting ways if your variables happen to have
> the same name as in-scope local variables of the Puppet application.  I
> think that's what has happened to you.

Indeed I've seen this since posting and started addressing my variables
with @.
This didn't help unfortunately.

> I suspect that the conflicting master_* variables belong to the puppet
> master code (makes sense), so it is plausible that they are not in scope
> when you apply your class via "puppet apply", whereas they are in scope
> when the template is processed by the master in order to service "puppet
> agent".
>
> ... and I also thought of this, so I prepended "redis_" in front of my
variable names. Unfortunately this still didn't help.
To clarify, my template now looks like this :

<% if @redis_master_host -%>
slaveof <%= @redis_master_host %> <%= @redis_master_port %>
<% end -%>