On 05/09/12 23:37, jcbollinger wrote:
Before you start swooning over how nice parametrized classes look, let me warn you that they carry some substantial drawbacks. Therefore, I urge you to avoid using them in your own code as much as you can do, at least until you understand Puppet well enough to appreciate why they might make sense in some circumstances (clue me in when you figure that out), and especially until you appreciate the problems they present. Hint: the biggest one is that parametrized classes cannot be declared more than once.
I've raised this very topic on the IRC channel, due to my frustration with the *bug* [1] that makes impossible to override parameters with custom classes while inheriting, and I still don't understand *why* is inheritance so bad nad if it's so, why is it still there? I think inheritance improves a lot manifests/classes readability and personally I hate using global variables and passing parameters (but it's just a matter of taste).

But hey, if there's any technical reason in Puppet that makes inheritance bad, I'm all ears and happy to change my mind about it :)

[1] https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/5517

--
Davide Ferrari
Senior System Administrator