Von: puppet-users@googlegroups.com [mailto:puppet-users@googlegroups.com] Im
Auftrag von Bernd Adamowicz
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 13. September 2012 10:46
An: puppet-users@googlegroups.com
Betreff: Re: [Puppet Users] AW: Issue with large directory content

Thanks for your answers so far.

But beware that the huge artifacts are *not* managed by Puppet (see recurse =>
false). Actually it's a Maven repository filled by Nexus. Only the top
directory is managed by Puppet to have it in place and have correct access
rights. This worked well until I initially filled the repository with the
artifacts manually. That slowed down Puppet. Seems to me as Puppet will do some
recursive scanning, but that's just an assumption, since Puppet is running with
almost 100% CPU load.

I turned debug on in Puppet but will not see anything even after a few minutes.
Presumably I would see something if I let Puppet run just long enough. However,
it's a strange behaviour I've never experienced. And I think my configuration
is OK.

Bernd

On 09/13/2012 01:24 AM, Peter Brown wrote:

On 13 September 2012 00:12, Christopher Wood
<christopher_w...@pobox.com><mailto:christopher_w...@pobox.com> wrote:
> I don't have enough information to say. You might want to run the master and
> agent in debug mode to get more output, though.
>
> puppet agent --debug --verbose --no-daemonize
>
> Also, 100 GB? Any particular reason why you're not installing this using a
> content distribution system or a large number of RPMs?

Recursing through A 100Gb directory will definitely slow down your puppet run.
If the contents of the directory are reasonably static an RPM would be
the best idea.
If it's not static a git or svn repo would be a better idea.
If you are tricky you can manage the checkouts of git or svn with
puppet as well.
I wrote a few tricky resources for this a while ago and they are
infinitely handy.