On Wednesday, September 19, 2012 12:11:24 AM UTC-5, Gonzalo wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> In our environment, we use the $::environment variable extensively to
> determine if the host should have one set of mounts (e.g. production) or a
> different set of mounts (e.g. qa). This is just one example, but there are
> many others where the $::environment variable comes into play.
>
> The problem is that I have a number of puppet changes that I want to test
> before merging into the production tree, so I've created a staging
> environment.... however, given the importance of the $::environment
> variable throughout the manifests, this won't work well.
>
> Any suggestions? I'd like to point a number of production nodes at a
> secondary puppet server using --noop to see what would change, but then I
> run into SSL issues. Would be great if I could use puppet over cleartext
> http for this test, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

I tend to think that the $::environment fact is not a very good choice for
testing your Puppet configuration, for pretty much the reason you already
described.  Setting up a secondary master for testing is exactly what I
would recommend.

There are a number of ways that you could work out the SSL issues.  The
brute force way, for example, would involve synchronizing the masters' SSL
directories (both directions), and probably playing some games with name
servers.  It would be more elegant to set up a central CA on which the
masters and clients all rely, though synchronization of client certs
between the masters would probably still be needed.  In a pinch, you might
be able to enlist your existing production master as the central CA.

John