Installing 3.0.11 (and removing all the old versions manually, fucking
ruby gems!) didn't help for me:

~$ sudo gem list

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

activemodel (3.0.11)
activerecord (3.0.11)
activesupport (3.0.11)
arel (2.0.10)
bigdecimal (1.1.0)
builder (2.1.2)
bundler (1.1.5)
charlock_holmes (0.6.8)
i18n (0.5.0)
io-console (0.3)
json (1.5.4)
minitest (2.5.1)
multi_json (1.3.6)
puppet-lint (0.2.1)
rake (0.9.2.2)
rdoc (3.9.4)
tzinfo (0.3.33)

I think there used to be an ubuntu package for activerecord but it's
not there anymore.