The facter dot d plugin is probably in a little bit of flux right now. I
know it was included in the puppet stdlib module for a while, but it
apparently was recently removed from there(commit
8fc00ea5b6b39b220ebc6391489915dbeeb364ab). R.I.P's version is what the
stdlib version was based on, and is a little on the old side now, I
believe, which could be why part of it was commented. I'm not sure if there
are plans to include that plugin in a more core role in the future, perhaps
one of the puppet team could comment on that.