On Tue, Oct 09, 2012 at 03:46:36PM +0100, Klaus Ethgen wrote:
> I have a setup where I construct the host_aliases of sshkey. This work
> fine. But now I encounter that several (not all) keys are changed every
> run of puppet:
>    notice: /Stage[main]/Ssh/Sshkey[XXXXXX.XXX.XXrsa]/host_aliases:
> host_aliases changed 'XXXXXX257.257.257.257' to  'XXXXXX 257.257.257.257'
>
> I changed the name part to Xes and the IP to 257.257.257.257, but they
> are the correct IP and name of one host.
>
> So why is this happening? Except from the fact that the first output is
> not separated by space and the second is. (In the file
> /etc/ssh/sshd_known_hosts all entries are separated correctly by coma.)
>
> It seems not have to do with versions of puppet. I use versions 2.7.6,
> 2.6.16, 0.25.4 and 2.7.11.
>
> I tried to debug this to find where the decision is made to replace an
> entry but failed to find.
>
> Any Idea?

It's a bit hard to debug your problem without seeing the actual line in
your /etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts file. If you dont want to paste it please
do this:

extract the complete line from the target file. Now run

  # irb
  irb> line = 'your actual line'
  irb> fields = line.split(/\s+/)
  # you should now see an array. The first item should be hostname and
  # all aliases
  irb> name = fields[0]
  irb> name.split(',')

What do you see after executing the last line? You should see something
like [ "name", "host_alias1", "host_alias2" ]

-Stefan