On Oct 16, 2012, at 12:15 PM, Jamie wrote:

> Is it possible to tell Puppet (and Facter for that matter)  to use a custom
> Ruby that exists alongside the Ruby 1.8.7 that comes with CentOS 5 without
> converting the entire host to only use the custom version?
>
> I'm in an environment where we're stuck on CentOS 5 for some time and it's
> ancient Ruby.  We do though have a custom packaging of Ruby 1.9 installed on
> all machines with separate binaries, i.e. /usr/bin/my_ruby, /usr/bin/my_irb
> that we use when we need Ruby.
>

> I'm looking for some config or startup option that says where to find Ruby.
> So far I don't see anything in the init scripts or config options.
>

> Solutions such as linking /usr/bin/ruby to /usr/bin/my_ruby are not an option
> but rebuilding an RPM is.
----
You can use solutions like rvm or rbenv to have more than one version of ruby
installed and just tweak the startup scripts to use the non-packaged ruby form
rvm or rbenv instead.

I am using rbenv with ubuntu and have been working to abstract the client
systems to be happy with whatever version of ruby we employ as we are upgrading
some of our test servers to 1.9.3.

The puppet server should probably be running on something newer than CentOS 5.x
(a vm perhaps?)

Craig