On Mon, 2012-10-29 at 08:25 -0700, Kevin G. wrote:
> I'm re-reading the puppet docs
> http://docs.puppetlabs.com/learning/manifests.html and just noticed
> this footnote
>
>  If you drastically refactor your manifest code and want to make sure
> it still generates the same configurations,
> you can just intercept the catalogs and use a special diff tool on
> them;
>

> but the footnote doesn't say how to do that or point to any
> documentation. I've been looking for a way to do exactly that for some
> time now and haven't succeeded in finding it, can anyone point me to
> documentation or give me a list of simple steps to "intercept a
> catalog" or what this "special diff tool" would be?

You can check this awesome tool by RI:
https://github.com/ripienaar/puppet-catalog-diff

It's now available as a Forge module, which should even more help using
it.

It produces a report that lists the differences between catalogs
(old/new resources, and differences between changed resources).

It is specifically useful when upgrading a puppet master to a new
version to spot differences in behavior.
--
Brice Figureau
Follow the latest Puppet Community evolutions on www.planetpuppet.org!