I'm currently using this "hack" in a script I run (which also fires up Puppet)
to make sure my HOME path is available:

sed -i -e "s/'HOME', //"
#{$home}/.rbenv/versions/#{$ruby_version}/gemsets/global/gems/puppet-3.0.1/lib/puppet/util/posix.rb

This is where the removal of the HOME (and other) environment variable is
enforced. Simply removing them from the array makes this function go away, and
I haven't run into any problems at the moment with this.

I'm sure there are edge cases where this might break things, but I am not sure
about the fact that Puppet right now simply ignores these important variables
because of some (possible) edge cases.

--
Jean Mertz