It does not (and this is odd since I'm using F17):

# service puppet status
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl  status puppet.service
puppet.service
         Loaded: error (Reason: No such file or directory)
         Active: inactive (dead)

and yet ps still shows it running.

But with your help, this at least starts it now, but I can't get the
"ensure" bit working, and that's the really critical piece for us. Looks
like Puppet is expecting to chkconfig this and that's not working. I also
have no file in /etc/init.d at all, so there's apparently no start script
on my system at all. I installed from the Puppetlabs repos.

# puppet resource service puppet hasstatus=false ensure=running enable=true
Error: Could not enable puppet: Execution of '/sbin/chkconfig puppet on'
returned 1: error reading information on service puppet: No such file or
directory
:
:
service { 'puppet':