Is /etc/puppet/auth.conf  owned by the puppet process? You could also try
setting it as world readable.

And make sure in your puppet.conf under the agent stanza, the server block
is set to the domain name of the puppet master. You should be able to
telnet to it on port 8140.

[agent]
    server = puppet.localhost