On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 1:46:13 PM UTC-6, Bret Wortman wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 13, 2012 2:32:24 PM UTC-5, Bret Wortman wrote:
>>
>> I'm working on setting things up so that I can use Cobbler to kickstart a
>> basic system and then use Puppet to roll out the majority of packages based
>> on the role a particular system will be playing for us. I've got a
>> kickstarter file running (a thinly modified version of the Cobbler
>> sample.ks) but after it runs and installs around 444 packages including
>> puppet, I get this after booting into the system the first time (and after
>> doing the certificate exchange bit):
>>
>> # puppet agent -t
>> Info: Retrieving plugin
>> Timed out seeking value for ipaddress
>> Timed out seeking value for ipaddress
>> Error: Could not autoload puppet/provider/package/rpm: No child processes
>> Error: Could not autoload puppet/type/package: Could not autlooad
>> puppet/provider/package/rpm: No child processes
>> Error: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Could not intern
>> from pson: Could not autoload puppet/type/package: Could not autload
>> puppet/provider/package/rpm: No child processes
>> Warning: Not using cache on failed catalog
>> Error: Could not retrieve catalog: skipping run
>> #
>>
>> I've seen notes about ip addresses before, but I can ping, scp, and ssh
>> out of the box without issue (and can reach the puppet server, since we
>> performed the certificate request-sign-download thing).
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> D'Oh. Solved this one myself via
>
> #chown <#38664afa-359d-43cc-b948-5c828265aba9@googlegroups.com_> -R
> puppet:puppet /etc/puppet
>
> Not sure why the RPM package missed that, but it did. I'm adding a
> double-check to my kickstart for this.

The "puppet" user should not need to own that directory, and it's probably
not a good idea for it to do.  It should, however, be able to *read* that
directory.  If you have some policy in place that could have prevented it
from reading it or any of its content, then that might explain the problem.

John