On Thursday, November 15, 2012 8:47:29 AM UTC-6, vioilly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am just rolling out a new puppet deployment. Which version should i go
> for, 2.7 or 3.1? I am looking to use the open source version.

If you plan on using an ENC, specifically TheForeman, or a lot of modules
from the Puppet Forge, you might want to start with 2.7

That being said, Foreman is very close to having Puppet 3 support working,
and more and more modules on the Forge are being made 3.0 compatible every
day.

Puppet 2.7 is currently on 2.7.19 with 2.7.20 in RCs, and Puppet 3 is at
3.0.1, so it is still a little rough around the edges, but the fact that
hiera is integrated and it has the databindings is one very nice feature of
3.0.x. It's also considerably faster.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, and I am sure others will
weigh in as well, but hope this helps.