As of the release of Puppet 3.0.0, hiera-puppet has been incorporated
into the puppet codebase. See ticket #11608 for more details[1].

The standalone hiera-puppet package is only needed for releases of
puppet prior to 3.0.0[2]. The 1.x branch of hiera-puppet is for those
older versions of puppet, and is only open for urgent bug-fixes.

If you want to file a ticket or submit a pull request for hiera-puppet
functionality, please do so against the puppet redmine project or git
repository, respectively. If the issue needs to be backported to
hiera-puppet 1.x, we will take care of that on our end.

The hiera-puppet README.md has been updated with additional
information and links[3].

Josh

[1] http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/11608
[2]