Hi James,

On Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 3:23 AM, jim <stra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm fairly new to puppet and in the majority a windows shop
>
> I have two questions
>
> 1.) As windows syntax is slight different than linux syntax, how do I create
> a new line within a bit of content, e.g. hosts file "for windows not linux"
>
> e.g.
>
>         file {'c:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts':
>         content         =>
>                 "127.0.0.1      puppet.office \n
>                 127.0.0.1       puppet8081.office",
>         }
>
> As it seems to ignore the \n

To manage a text file using native Windows line endings, you'll want
to use \r\n (carriage return, newline). Specifying carriage returns
(\r) in the file resources's content property was fixed in 2.7.20[1],
released yesterday[2]. Alternatively, you can create a file containing
\r\n on the puppetmaster and then specify the source parameter using a
puppet URI, e.g. puppet:///modules/mymodule/hosts

With that said, is there a reason you are not using the `host`
resource[3]? It should do-the-right-thing on both *nix and windows. Is
filesystem redirection causing problems?

> 2.) also can you append to a file, for example your base machines get the
> standard host file and futher down the tree it goes it might get host
> entries amended to it.

I imagine this is a common issue when using the `host` resource, I'm
curious how other people have solved this.

> Kind Regards
>
> James

Josh

[1] http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/16119