I am at the beginning of merging the traditional OS/Middleware update
process with application development release process.  The goal is to be
able to test a complete versioned OS/Middleware/Application stack as it
moves through dev/test/qa/prod environments.  The key here is that entire
stack is labeled under a single version. In other terms, the node and
everything on it is aligned under a single version. Right now the
OS/Middleware is managed by puppet.  The application release process is
not.  I'm hoping some folks would like to comment on the following
questions I am pondering.

   - How to best version puppet classes and control the classification of
   nodes based on the version of the node?
   - Are there ENC's that integrate with SVN/GIT that make this easy?
   - Should application deployment be brought under the control of puppet?
   - If so how do you easily do this without burdening applications
   developers with having to learn something about or have access to puppet?
   - Is there a puppet API that an existing application release processes
   can leverage to trigger OS/Middleware updates when an application version
   is updated?

Looking forward to your comments.