In regard to: Re: [Puppet Users] Puppetdb source install on Solaris. Agents...:

It looks like the iconv library in the version of Ruby provided by the
OpenIndiana repo may be too old, lack a required method or have an
incompatible version of the method being used to transform the contents of
the catalog.

I don't think it's an issue with your ruby Iconv.

root@atropos:~# ruby -r iconv -ve 'pp Iconv.list'
ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [i386-solaris2.11]
-e:1: undefined method `list' for Iconv:Class (NoMethodError)

I get the exact same error when I run Deepak's suggested command on
RHEL 6, which includes ruby 1.8.7:

$ ruby -e "require 'iconv'; puts Iconv.list.sort"
-e:1: undefined method `list' for Iconv:Class (NoMethodError)

If I run that on Solaris 10 with ruby 1.9.3 p327 compiled from source, I get:

$ ruby -e "require 'iconv'; puts Iconv.list.sort"
/local/lib/64/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require': iconv
will be deprecated in the future, use String#encode instead.
-e:1:in `list': list() function is unimplemented on this machine
(NotImplementedError)
        from -e:1:in `<main>'

(learning Ruby
is still on my to-do list)

Same for me, and it has presented a slight barrier to entry for becoming
really comfortable with puppet.

ruby -e "require 'iconv'; puts Iconv.list.sort"

That should dump out the list of available encodings. That should help us
at least more properly triangulate the issue.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu