Got a little further by running puppetdb-foreground. Now I can get as far
as node certificate generation.

Once I start the node certificate generation, I get a new certificate, but
then PuppetDB blows up with "javax.net.ssl.SSLException: Received fatal
alert: decrypt_error"

Immediately after that puppet ca list --all stops working as mentioned at
first.