On Monday, December 10, 2012 2:49:10 AM UTC-6, SAF wrote:

> Do you happen to know with what user do the scripts get executed on the
> master? I it's not root, i might have to stick some sudos in there.

Functions are evaluated as a normal part of the puppet master's execution,
thus they run as whatever user the master runs as.  In most setups that is
a non-privileged user, without access to the contents of /etc/shadow.

You should think long and hard before granting the master elevated
privileges.  I would not do it myself.  In fact, I would recommend against
your whole concept for password management.  It requires you to weaken your
security not only by granting extra privileges to the master, but also --
much worse -- by granting your users login privileges on the puppet master
server.

Furthermore, password updates under your scheme would not be synchronous or
even coordinated across hosts.  For each other system he wants to log in
to, the user would have to wait some unknown time for that system to
perform a successful Puppet run before his password changes there, and
there will be a period during which his password is different on some nodes
than on others.

There are good, industry-standard approaches to centralized password
management.  You should really choose among those instead of rolling your
own.  One of the best-regarded is LDAP, and you could also consider NIS
(just to name two).  The former is more secure, but the latter is very easy
to set up.

John