On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:52 PM, Jakov Sosic <jso...@srce.hr> wrote:

> On 12/09/2012 04:39 PM, Stefan Goethals wrote:
>
>> Serving facts to nodes via puppet...
>> That means you already know those facts in puppet so you don't need to
>> serve them to the nodes anymore :-)
>>

> Yeah kinda beats the purpose of facter LOL :) But that's why I'm asking
> this thread in the first place...  So, how do you distribute your custom
> facts like node role or servertype? Fill em up manually, enter them at
> provisioning, etc?

I agree that it can sound redundant in most cases, but there are a few
cases when it makes sense. I think the main one is when the built-in set of
facts is not enough to properly categorize your nodes. In this case, you're
correct -- add the facts at the time of provisioning. Then they will be
available for the first Puppet run.

Thanks,
Joe

--
Joe Topjian
Systems Administrator

www.cybera.ca

Cybera is a not-for-profit organization that works to spur and support
innovation, for the economic benefit of Alberta, through the use
of cyberinfrastructure.