On Wednesday, December 19, 2012 12:06:12 AM UTC-6, Alex Harvey wrote:

> On Tuesday, December 18, 2012 2:02:28 AM UTC+11, jcbollinger wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> I avoid 'gem' on principle, relying instead on hosts' native package
>> managers.  It is a bad idea to mix multiple package managers with
>> overlapping areas of responsibility, and on systems that have a system-wide
>> package manager, that precludes using any other.
>>

> Gems are convenient at sites where many different native package managers
> are in use.  A site that has RedHat, Ubuntu, Solaris 10, Solaris 11, AIX &
> HP-UX will have six different native package managers to work with and
> rolling puppet, hiera & facter into all of these formats is time consuming
> compared to using gems.

The time spent up front to do the job right often produces much more time
saved later on (indeed, that's a large component of "right").  In any case,
PuppetLabs provides pre-built packages for a lot of different package
management systems, so for the Puppet stack in particular, the up-front
time you would need to invest is less than you may suppose.

John