Thanks. Good point about the cert. Unfortunately Netscalers are the standard in my environment and to the best of my knowledge there is no love from puppet for them so pool management will still require some key pressing.

Matthew Black wrote:
The fastest way to rapidly scale is to have SSL terminated at the load
balancer so you do not need to update the the ssl certificate. The
configuration to do it depends on what is being used for the load
balancer. If you are using an F5 LTM then you can easily handle the
SSL termination at the F5 and add new puppet servers to the pool with
the F5 module from puppetlabs.

If you are using Apache then you would follow the same principle with
the SSL terminated at the Apache load balancer. If you use
mod_passenger you are already terminating SSL at the Apache layer so
its not too different at that point.