Hi,

I've been using dynamic environments, one per Git branch, similar to
what's described here:

  http://puppetlabs.com/blog/git-workflow-and-puppet-environments/

I've come to really like that workflow, but I'm struggling with how
best to integrate it with Hiera. In addition to short lived dynamic
branches, I'll have some longer lived ones that feed into master
(production), e.g. staging, dev, etc.

My hierarchy has traditionally looked something like this:

  - 'environments/%{environment}/%{location}',
  - 'environments/%{environment}',
  - 'global'

What's the best way of having new environments pick data from the
right spot in the hierarchy without having to cram everything into the
global / common root?

For example, if I branch off of dev, creating a new environment called
'new_feature', only 'global' would be in scope unless I explicitly
copy the dev data to 'new_feature.yaml', which feels wrong.

Am I approaching this all wrong? Any advice?

--
Thanks,
Brad