Did you try using the Puppet ports available?    This is what I used and
they work fine.  However, I am on 8.2 and 8.3.
If you want to create packages to distribute to servers that may not have
internet connectivity to do portsnaps, you can install the port on a box
and then create packages using that..

For example, grab the port and install on an build server...
Then. cd to the ports dir (probably /usr/local/ports/sysutils/puppet)

# make package-recursive

This will make the package and all of it's dependencies.  The packages will
be in /usr/ports/packages/ALL.

I then placed all of the packages on a web server for distribution.
If you set the env variable, PACKAGESITE to the full url of the web server
where you place the packages, you can install from there...

#pkg_add -v -r <package name)

Anyway, this is what i did and it worked.

Bee