Hello,

I ran into an issue today as I began to transition into a production
environment from my Puppet testbed. I am using Puppet Enterprise 2.7 for
Ubuntu (x64) and ran through the Installer and configured the Console,
Cloud Provisioner, and Master on the same box. This all went well. I then
began setting up agent1 for testing and after installing PE, updating the
environment in the agent's puppet.conf, signing the agent's cert, I tried
to do a puppet agent -td. This failed with the error:

*err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on SERVER:
Access denied for user 'console'@'localhost' (using password: YES)*

During the Installer I was never prompted to enter the password for the
Console user so initially I was stuck.

I visited IRC and Ancillas and I went back and forth trying to figure out
the cause. We viewed the passwords in /etc/puppetlabs/puppet/puppet.conf
and /etc/puppetlabs/puppet-dashboard/database.yml but both are encrypted. I
was going to attempt a reinstall of the Master, but then I found
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/pe/2.0/maint_reconfiguring.html#changing-the-consoles-database-userpassword

I followed the steps and everything worked like a charm.

My main questions piggy-back one another...

1. What type of encryption/hash is used to initially write the password to
those files? Can it be decrypted?

2. I'd prefer to store the db password in an encrypted fashion, is there a
way to do this from within Puppet? I assume I could use a MySQL
Administration and view the MySQL Users and copy that, but that seems
excessive.

Thanks,

Brendan