On Monday, February 4, 2013 11:49:24 PM UTC-6, David Kerr wrote:

> On Monday, February 4, 2013 9:07:49 PM UTC-8, Aaron Russo wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 7:37 PM, David Kerr <ker...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> <% @foo = 0 %>
>>> <% Array(bar).each do |flan| -%>
>>> value <%= @foo %>
>>> <% @foo += 1 %>
>>> <% end %>
>>>

>> This code worked for me.  I just used an inline template, but otherwise I
>> had exactly what you had:
>>
>> link: https://gist.github.com/arusso23/4712284
>>
>> (I'm on 3.0.1 btw)
>>

> hmm, ok thanks, good to know it SHOULD work =)
>
> I believe my problem is that i'm using concat and my expectations of how
> that works are incorrect.

You didn't say what those expectations were, but I'm guessing you hoped the
counter would retain its value across multiple evaluations of the
template.  Perhaps that's why you used a member variable for your counter
instead of a local variable.  You should expect, however, that every time
you invoke the template() or inline_template() function, a new ERB instance
will be created to evaluate the given template, so even if you worked
around the re-initialization of your counter, I would not expect a
continuous sequence across multiple template evaluations.

Supposing that you have all the data you want to sequence in one place, one
possibility could be to generate your content all in one template.  If you
don't have it all in one place, on the other hand, and you can't assign
sequence numbers manually, then I am skeptical about sequence numbers being
useful to you / doing what you want even if you could generate them.

If you tell us more about the problem then maybe we'll have better-targeted
suggestions.

John