I am curious as to how support for strings would work. To me, it seems
there are two possibile use-cases for support for strings. Take the
following example:

Assume:
  - extdata exists, identified by 'array'
  - extlookup('array') may return an array or a single string (in the case
that the "array" only has one member)

Case 1:
$array = extlookup("array") -> extlookup returns a string
member($array, 'some_string') -> returns true if $array is the string
'some_string'

Case 2:
$array = extlookup("array") -> extlookup returns an array
member returns true if array.includes?('some_string')

The alternative, I suppose, would be substring matching, but in that case
wouldn't "member" be a misnomer and shouldn't the more common substr() be
added?

For hash membership, we would want to look for key membership, yes?

Anyway, came across an instance of when this kind of behavior would be
useful, and was wondering if this behavior was the intent behind this
particular TODO. If so, I will submit a patch.

Thanks,

Greg