Puppet Enterprise installs specific versions of its components into
/opt/puppet and locks them in at that version (Puppet Enterprise is
essentially our 'stable' build that lags behind the open source version).
 Upgrading Puppet in its 'vendored' location is a very bad idea for many
reasons.  Puppet Enterprise will move to Puppet 3.x.x eventually - is there
something specific in the 3.x.x branch that you're needing?