Luigi,

Thanks for the suggestion, however I've already done that in some sense.
 Here's my FULL situation:

I was running a puppet 2.6.6 master on a RHEL5 machine with lots of
RHEL4,5,6 machines (mostly RHEL5) connecting to it.  The clients are all
running puppet 0.25.5 and working just fine.

I've built a new puppet server on a RHEL6 machine, running 3.1.0.  I copied
over the SSL certs from the old puppet master so that when the clients
connect to the new server, they 'just work', and pretty much that has
worked great for me.  I certainly plan to upgrade the clients to the latest
version of puppet I can, but for now they are working fine.  EXCEPT for the
RHEL4 machines.  I tried the version of puppet that was on them first
(0.25.5), and when that didn't work, I found some puppet 2.7 packages (and
dependencies) to install, but they don't seem to work any better.

So the short story is, that the RHEL 4 clients can talk to my old puppet
master, but not the new one, while everything else talks to the new puppet
master just fine.

Jason