On Friday, February 15, 2013 6:37:10 AM UTC-8, jcbollinger wrote:

> On Thursday, February 14, 2013 1:45:36 PM UTC-6, Chad Huneycutt wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, John.  I think you are right that puppet should support it,
>> but I am pretty sure it does not.   I chatted with RI, and it seems
>> that the classname is not "exposed", so when the puppet backend does
>> the lookup, it figures out the classname and sets the 'calling_class'
>> variable before it interprets the hierarchy.  I am going to try to
>> hack the same thing into the yaml backend, as well as file a bug (or
>> +1 one) about it.
>>

> Yes, R.I. was explaining the current state of the code, as is also
> summarized in the PL bug tracker.  In addition to issue 14985, which we
> discussed above, there is http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/16730,
> which speaks directly to how %{calling_class} and %{calling_module} could
> be used in hiera.yaml in Puppet 2.7, whereas Puppet 3 apparently regressed
> on that.  That issue has been marked as a duplicate of 14985, however; I
> mention it to give you confidence about which issue to watch / vote up
> (14985).  Also to confirm that PL not only agrees that there's an issue,
> but has a solution in flight.

This is very good to hear.  A few of weeks ago I was told about the
calling_* vars in #puppet IRC when I was looking to solve basically the
same sort of task.

then  when I tried to use them this past weekend and it didn't work, I
asked in #puppet again if there was an issue, and folks acted like I was
crazy for thinking calling_{class,module} were supposed to work.

Looking forward to having the issue resolved.