Hi Pete, how you doing?

> You will get duplication if you declare a nagioshost_group with the same
> name on more than one node...
> I think you may be missing the point of nagios_hostgroup. It is for
> declaring a hostgroup in nagios not setting the nagios hostgroup for a node.

Yes, I know that I'll get duplication error for obvious reason and that's
the whole reason for asking this Q. I know what the "hostgroup" is for
(using Nagios for a while now) and I'm not trying to setting up hostgroup
for a node. Perhaps I wasn't clear with my question.

> I am guessing you are trying to add a node to a hostgroup?
> You will need to add a hostgroups parameter to your nagios_host
> declaration and set the hostgroup for the node there.

No - I'm not trying to "add a  node to hostgroup" but I was trying to
figure out a way to declare a "hostgroup" only after at least one  member
of that particular comes online.  Suppose, I've three nodes - N1, N2, N3
and two  hostgroups - HG1 and HG2. N1 (which is Nagios-server) is being in
HG1 and N2 & N3 in HG2.

> I am also reasonably sure you can have empty hostgroups in nagios...

Yes you can (overlooked that point, really) until a service (nagios_service
type) is defined. I think, my actual question would be, how can I query if
a host with certain name (property) is up and only include that service if
the node count is at least one or more. I think I can export some sort of
resource from a given host and collect it on the master (my Nagios server
is co-located with Puppet master)? Any idea what might be the best possible
way of doing that? cheers!!