On Sunday, March 3, 2013 8:00:35 AM UTC-6, Andrei Burd wrote:

> Hi, i'm writing a define to custom apache configuration, with nagios
> check, using Geppeto.
>
> I want to define a parameter to check specific web page for ssl, because
> not all the site are available trough SSL, just couple of pages.
> I'm using previously declared parameters to build the whole string:
>
> The thing is it's working great, but Geppeto marks it as uninitialized
> variable:
>
> define platform::create (

> $ssl_iface = $::ipaddress,
> $ssl_page = "/",
> $nagioscheckssl = "check_https_other_string_sane!${ssl_iface}!
> www.${name}!${ssl_page}!${name}!200<http://www.%24%7Bname%7D%21%24%7Bssl_page%7D%21%24%7Bname%7D%21200/>"
>
> <---marked as error/uninitialized
> ]) {...}
> @hlindberg Pointed that it's miracle that it's working, and it's a mistake
> and should not work.
>
> Please advice is it really not suppose to work and should i do other ways,
> or to change the Geppetto behavior ?

Gepetto is right to flag an error.  Puppet does not support parameter
defaults that use the values of other parameters of the same class or
definition.  It does not flag a parse error at present, but the results are
undefined.  Based on how I think the implementation works, you got lucky on
a 33% chance that your default value would be interpreted as you intended.
There is no guarantee that it will continue to work on a different version
of Puppet or of the Ruby underneath, and it is likely to break if you add,
remove, or rename parameters.

John