> If you want to be able to install multiple versions of some piece of
> software, then you should obtain or create packages that allow it.  For
> example, RedHat-family JDK packages (java-<version>-openjdk) support this,
> whereas Oracle's JDK packages for RedHat family systems do not.

Agreed, had to repackage the oracle JDK's to play nice:)

> Configuration files are a separate question, but I don't see why your
> scenario would constitute a special case for them.  Do you imagine a
> specific problem in that area?

Not really a specific problem because obviously people are successfully
using this pattern.  I'm really trying to explore the difference between
the different patterns and understand why you would chose one over the
other.  The current pattern that is working successfully for me is
the role/profile pattern.  Here I use a profile to associate a specific jdk
version with the appserver version.  It gives me one place to update the
version of the jdk for all deployments of the app server.  The problem that
I can imagine (or rather what I don't fully understand yet) is how to
manage the jdk version in hiera when the jdk version is dependent on the
version of the app server and not facts on the node.