----- Original Message -----

Generally this happens because firewalls, NAT routers or session state
tracking kills idle connections.

When mcollective isn't used the connection is 100% idle so when these devices
drop the connection the TCP layer of your OS doesnt even become aware.

If that's the problem just setting:

  registerinterval = 300
  registration = Agentlist

will probably solve it for you, if not we need to look further and will need
to see debug logs or something.

mcollective has its own list on google groups called mcollective-users, best
to send these questions there if this doesnt resolve it for you