I use an in-house bootstrap script that:

- launch an ec2 instance
- sets the hostname
- add to route53
- install puppet
- run puppet agent --server my-puppetmaster

My puppetmaster only accepts requests from ec2 instances from my aws
account and auto sign the certificate, also installs puppet.conf and all
the packages needed
based in the hostname regex of the nodes already defined in my nodes.pp.

./bootstrap.rb --name web1.mydomain --type m1.small ...etc

And in 10 minutes I have a fully deployed server with the right hostname,
dns, security group and onboarded on puppet.

btw: I tried to use Puppet Cloud Provisioner but it really didn't do the
job I needed, like it should be really easy for it to correct the hostname,
but it doesn't, also fails
if you use auto sign, and a lot of open issues and pull requests :(

Felipe