On Wednesday, March 13, 2013 8:51:04 PM UTC-5, Ellison Marks wrote:

> You can just call hiera_hash() from within your manifest, no?

No.  The OP wants hash merging, and hiera_hash() doesn't do that (as far as
I understand).  It will instead return a hash whose keys are hierarchy
levels, and whose values are those associated with the requested key at the
corresponding level.  Hash merging is supposedly included in Hiera 1.2,
which is now at release candidate stage, but I don't know what the API for
it looks like.

With older hiera, you can use hiera_array() to get the component hashes in
hierarchy order, and then merge them manually.  The puppetlabs-stdlib
module provides a merge function that does almost what the OP wants, but
although it will merge an arbitrary number of hashes, I don't think it will
accept them in array-of-hashes form.

John