On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM, Ken Barber <k...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I'm hoping I can get some information from other users on the list in
> relationship ak0ska's problem listed below. I thought I would start a
> new thread so more users would see this message and not loose it in
> the original thread which is already pretty long:
>

> https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/puppet-users/yRMI1J_y6Ps
>
> Basically I want to see if anyone is seeing the same constraint errors
> at all in your postgresql log:
>
> [2013-03-12 05:51:19 CET]DETAIL:  Key
> (catalog)=(c93825c7157cba8c10641b54d9dce17eb0ce618b) is not present in
> table "catalogs".
> [2013-03-12 05:51:19 CET]STATEMENT:  INSERT INTO certname_catalogs
> (certname,catalog,timestamp) VALUES ($1,$2,$3) RETURNING *
>
> It seems to me this problem is enacted under heavy load or an
> attenuated scenario like 'load', but I'm having trouble trying to
> reproduce. I'm curious basically if this is happening the wild to
> anyone else other than ak0ska.
>
> This is specifically happening during database garbage collection.
>
> If anyone sees this, or does not see it - I'd like to know, I'm just
> interested to see how prolific or non-prolific this problem is so I
> can get an understanding of impact. I guess I'd be also interested in
> rough understand what load your PuppetDB is under either way - # of
> nodes and frequency of 'replace catalog' actions - if this is
> something you can release publicly that is :-). If someone is seeing
> it I may have follow up questions, but for now I'm really interested
> in seeing if this is an isolated scenario (therefore potentially
> 'environmental') or if its prolific and therefore something we need to
> be more worried about.
>
> Thanks in advance all :-).

Worth mentioning that this issue isn't related to correctness...PuppetDB
has built-in retry w/exponential backoff for all incoming commands, so
unless the discard/failure counters in your puppetdb dashboard are
continually ticking upwards, these errors aren't a concern in terms of
correctness or data loss. :)

But as Ken says, it would be interesting to see just how often we run into
these kinds of things in the wild!

deepak