Great info Keith, thanks for replying.  I'll use this to continue seeing if
I can make it work on our systems here.

What i'd like to do is have something that supports a tiered implementation
of a  base install, then an app server config for app servers, database for
database server and other options for custom servers

So with straight up manifests I have "base" then "db" which includes base
then I have "base" with "app server" which includes base.

Is there a way to achieve similar structure with yaml and your plugin?  i
tried using calling_class or calling_method or whatever it was to invoke a
specific yaml from a specific class to achieve a "layered" build process,
but maybe i'm missing something that is much easier (and i couldn't figure
out if the variable was being used to be honest, it only applied the
base.yaml, not the calling methods yaml.. is there a way to "Trace" which
yaml its walking down?

thanks!
-byron