On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 04:22:19PM -0700, Aaron Mills wrote:

> The biggest pain point for us is that having hiera + puppet in the
> same repo feels like extra work. If they're going to live
> together, why even use hiera? Why not just set variables at the
> node level?

For me, here are some reasons to want to do it that way (I'm looking
at moving to Hiera right now):

1.  Hiera stuff is set before everything, which fixes a lot of
scoping issues in puppet.

2.  You can drive other tools off the Hiera YAML; you can basically
use it as an inventory system.  Multiple sources of truth is *bad*.
Alternatively, you can have an inventory system generate Hiera YAML
very easily; generating well-formed puppet instructions with
reasonable flexibility is *HARD* (I've written a system to do this,
trust me).

3.  Tweaking a YAML value means you are, in some sense at least,
tweaking *data*, but if you're messing with puppet variables you're
always messing with *code*, with all the joy that entails.

-Robin