Hi,

As we gradually spread puppet management to all of our systems, we've run across a group that's managed by us, but also semi-self-managed, and they'd set up puppet to manage some of their own software configurations (they provide an outward facing archive service).

Is there a way to set up puppet so that it looks at multiple servers for it's configuration?

My first guess is to say that we control /etc/puppet/puppet.conf and point it at our servers, and that they fall back to running puppet from cron with "--config /path/to/their/puppet.conf".

Is there a better way to handle this? i.e. can you put something in puppet.conf that tells it to apply rules found on more than one server?

Of course we also plan on setting up some yet-to-be-designed revision control system. So another alternative would be that when we set that up we design it so that some modules can be edited by individuals outside the systems group. Then we're back to one single configuration, and not only that we can watch what other groups are doing with modules where we've handed out permission. This may be the best solution since it's vaporware right now. Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks,

     tom