Hello!

On 03.04.2013 17:18, jim wrote:
Hello all

I mainly use Puppet for managing windows hosts, and what to know they best way to either encrypt passwords in manifests or where to store them so they are encrypted and reference them as in a variable etc ? (if that makes sense)

e.g.

class roles::base::users {
user { 'Administrator':
ensure                 => present,
password               => 'Please_hide_me;01',
}

I'm using extlookup [1] mechanism to store global constants (such as URL's or usernames) and passwords in CSV files on Puppet master. It allows to specify set of files from which configuration should be read and allows to store in version control system template file for passwords and actual passwords store only on production server. Example of extlookup usage you can find here: https://github.com/catlee/puppet

In site.pp they specify CSV files from which constants should be read [2]:

  $extlookup_datadir = "$settings::manifestdir/extlookup"
$extlookup_precedence = ["local-config", "default-config", "secrets", "secrets-template"]

In version control system the store only template file for passwords [3]:

  root_pw_hash,""
  root_pw_pbkdf2,""
  root_pw_pbkdf2_salt,""
  root_pw_pbkdf2_iterations,""

Actual secrets file is secrets.csv, which is not in version control system.

[1] http://www.devco.net/archives/2009/08/31/complex_data_and_puppet.php
[2] https://github.com/catlee/puppet/blob/master/manifests/site.pp
[3] https://github.com/catlee/puppet/blob/master/manifests/extlookup/secrets-template.csv

regards

James
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Puppet Users" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to puppet-users+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

Vladimir Rutsky