Hi All,

I'm currently using puppet to deploy our O/S configuration to servers.
I've got a requirement to allow a semi-trusted set of external users to
deploy application configuration onto these same hosts.  For example,
they'd be allowed to configure anything under a /apps directory.

What would be the best way to achieve this?  Ideally, I don't think I want
to give them access to our puppet master, although if we really had to we
could, and restrict them to a set of directories on the master using
appropriate permissions.

Should I think about running a second puppet master - either under a
different user or on a different host?

Can a puppet client talk to multiple masters?

Is there any way to restrict them so they can only write modules that
update files under the /apps filesystem?  For example, if I'm populating
/etc/hosts via an existing class, I don't want them to be able to write
something that conflicts with this.

Perhaps I should be using environments for this type of setup?

Any pointers would be welcome.

Many thanks,

Richard.