From: "Tony C" <tonyjch...@gmail.com>
To: puppet-users@googlegroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 8, 2013 2:43:41 PM
Subject: Re: [Puppet Users] Not custom facts, but variables?

sure, to be specific,

we have environments, dev, test, qa, stage, and prod. That part I got with your
help on my last post. Thank you.

Within these environments, we have applications. We only have a few apps. So
let's say some machines are oracle db machines, some are tomcat, and some are
apache.

I have yaml files for each, oracledb.yaml, tomcat.yaml, apache.yaml. Each of
these yaml files contain some key value pair that is specific to that
environment.

So when some machine is provisioned, I want to say this machine is a tomcat
machine, and I don't care what environment it since I will let the agent conf
figure that out. That way I can one puppet module for tomcat, but different
values per environment.

I hope that makes sense, and if my approach is completely wrong, I'm open to
hear some alternatives. Thanks again everyone.