We're having a very strange issue with Puppet running on Passenger.  Every
day or 2, our clients start receiving Passenger back traces.  It's the
generic "Ruby (Rack) application could not be started."  My initial thought
was that this is a resource/configuration problem.  Maybe we're overrunning
our resources or need to tune Passenger.  However, the way we have to
temporarily fix it leads me to believe it's not related to Passenger
configuration or resources issues.

A simple Apache restart will not fix the issue.  In *every* case the fix is
to stop Apache, start the puppetmaster service, stop the puppetmaster
service, and start Apache again.  Any other combination will not work.  So
there is something significant about what's happening when puppetmaster
process starts.  Any ideas what could be causing our grief?

Thanks for your help.