>From the puppet apply man page:

When provided with a modulepath, via command line or config file, puppet
apply can effectively mimic the catalog that would be served by puppet
master with access to the same modules, although there are some subtle
differences. When combined with scheduling and an automated system for
pushing manifests, this can be used to implement a serverless Puppet site.
http://docs.puppetlabs.com/man/apply.html

So looks like you need to give it the path to where your modules are
installed. This can be done with --modulepath=/path/to/module/dirctory on
the command line or with the modulepath configuration setting in the agent
section of your config file.