On Sunday, May 5, 2013 2:23:25 PM UTC-5, Ryan R. Uber wrote:

> Hi Stefan,
>
> My apologies that I did not get back sooner. What you are suggesting
> yields the same results I was seeing before. Let me try to explain
> better:

I think Stefan understood the question.  He advised you on the appropriate
interface for a resource type to use for adding generated resources to the
catalog, but he was clearly uncertain about whether using that approach
(which you should do regardless) would be sufficient to resolve your issue.

I think the final answer is probably that the Puppet API does not provide a
mechanism for what you're asking.  It's certainly good that Puppet doesn't
automatically exhibit the behavior you describe, but I don't think it
provides even an optional way to obtain the defaults.  If it did, however,
then probably it would be associated with a scope object, since resource
defaults are (dynamic) scope-dependent.

Can you implement your resource type as a defined type?  That would give
you resource defaults automatically.

John