Hi all,

I'm working to migrate our ~500 DNS records from bind flat files to
individual route53 resources. Each route53 resource definition is very slow
-- checking a record exists requires 2 API lookups and adding requires 3,
which means a resource can take >5seconds to run. This implies a massive
slowdown for Puppet -- our current  catalogs finish in 90seconds and this
migration will add 40 minutes(!) to that.

I can probably cache more to speed up these resources, but a significant
increase in Puppet run-time seems inevitable. I'm worried that longer
run-times are going to be a problem as I move more and more system config
from file resources to custom Puppet types.

How are people dealing with this sort of slowdown? Do I live with it, or is
there a solution?

Alex